Why female plug connector called that?
The term female plug connector is now common in common usage, even if it is not official. The plugs got their unusual name because of the small, curved leaf spring, which is reminiscent of a banana in shape. This is compressed in the socket so that the outward pressure ensures that the plug connector pin is held firmly.
Areas of application of female plug connector
Plug connectors are common, as mentioned, for putting low-voltage devices into operation. The 4 mm plugs are particularly helpful when the devices are frequently disconnected and reconnected. For this reason, they are common in conducting tests, experiments and other operations in laboratories.
In the private sector, they are often common to connect loudspeakers to a hi-fi system. The advantage of plug connectors in this case is that the stranded wires wear out less quickly. If they are bare in the sockets, then there is a risk that they will tarnish and reduce the quality of conductivity.
It should be noted that the manufacturers of such systems do not supply female plug connector. Since the plugs also fit into sockets, manufacturers cannot guarantee the safety of users and devices. Therefore, anyone who wants to equip their speaker cables with plug connectors must do so at their own risk.
In addition, not every hi-fi system is suitable for this, since the corresponding sockets must also be available. Therefore, find out from a specialist whether an exchange is possible and how best to connect the 4 mm plug.
It is also possible to repair and test devices that do not have a power plug. For example car radios. If you connect the radio to a power supply unit on the workbench, you can test its functionality.
Basic advantages and disadvantages of female plug connector
- Advantage: You can easily plug and unplug plug connectors in your system. You no longer have to laboriously turn the copper cables on and off by hand.
- Disadvantage: The resistance increases due to the additional component. The cables are no longer directly connected to the system and speakers.
Plug connectors on the speaker: useful or not?
- Over time, the copper cables tarnish at the stripped ends, which also increases the resistance? The main reason for this is the humidity.
- A female plug connectoralso increases resistance by its mere existence, but prevents the copper cables from tarnishing. The stripped part of the cable disappears completely in the plug connector.
- Plug connectors are therefore quite useful, but not absolutely necessary. If you do not touch the ends of the cable with your bare fingers and shorten the ends if necessary, you can also do without the convenience of the plug connectors.
- Note: In some cases, you cannot plug connectors directly into the system. Check the user manual before purchasing. When purchasing, make sure the plug connector is compatible with the thickness of the speaker wire.
What are the characteristics of plug connectors?
Plug connectors are versatile. You can easily connect two electrical devices together. While these properties were initially common in laboratories, the plug connector quickly found its way into everyday life. Today, this 4 mm spring plug is one of the most common plug connections in the hi-fi sector, along with jack plugs, HDMI cables and cinch cables.
From the lab to audio
Female plug connectors were originally developed for use in laboratories. Due to their positive properties, they then found their way into the audio and hi-fi sector.
A feature of plug connectors in the hi-fi sector is the ability to easily connect the fine individual copper wires without having to use solder.
How to join individual plug connector?
The individual wires are joined together to form a unit inside the connector. These results in another advantage: Since no cable ends are exposed, the risk of a short circuit is reduced. In addition, the shell of the plug prevents oxidation of the metallic parts of the cable. So you cannot rust.
Nevertheless, one or the other 4 mm spring connector test can be found on the Internet, which provides information about the quality of the individual products. In our plug connector comparison, we compare various tests and customer opinions.
Because of their excellent contact properties, plug connectors are often common in hi-fi systems.
The advantages of plug connectors at a glance:
- no exposed cable ends - minimizes the risk of short circuits
- Assembly possible without tools
- very good signal transmission
Hollow bananas not very flexible
1.1. Spring studs and hollow bananas are different
If you've already viewed a 4mm spring pin review or studied our product chart, you already know that there are two different types of plug connectors: spring pin and hollow banana. What is the difference between these two variants?
4mm spring connector: This connector offers a lot of flexibility with a secure hold. The solid pen has a spring-loaded lamella. This ensures a slightly larger diameter and holds the plug firmly in the socket. The plugs are particularly suitable for frequent use.
4mm hollow plug connectors: These plugs are slightly less robust. The signal-carrying pin of the hollow plug connector is hollow and can therefore easily break under high loads. Therefore, hollow bananas are primarily suitable for the permanent connection of a loudspeaker.
Find the right size
The female plug connector should match the car wire exactly. There are plug connectors with 3 mm², 4 mm² and 6 mm². This size specification refers to the cross-sections of the speaker cables common. The following applies here: The thicker the loudspeaker cable, the larger the plug connector must be.
If the socket of the plug is too large, there may be individual copper wires in the plug without any contact points. On the other hand, if it is too small, not all the wires will fit in. In both cases, the unsuitable edging of the connector has a negative effect on the conducting properties.